Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chicken spinach strawberry salad with balsamic vinaigrette

A healthy gorgeous salad, big on flavors!
This is one of my favorite salad dishes, and shamefully I have to admit that the first time I had something similiar to this was with my girls Em n Mon at Taipei's Macaroni Grill. It brings me back to those memories where we'd order one salad, one appetizer and one ( or maybe two ) deserts! GNOs!!! Romano's Macaroni Grill Insalata Florentine inspired me to make this summery salad, especially now strawberries are in season. I skipped the orzo ( although I do love orzo) and cheese to keep it light, but the salad is still so yummy and beautiful.

Ingredients:

One chicken breast
One fresh lemon
Fresh baby spinach
Mixed green salad
Fresh strawberries
half an onion
¼ cup of mushrooms
cherry tomatoes
Salt and pepper
spring onions ( optional)
balsamic vinaigrette
Pine nuts


Preparations:

Toast pine nuts in a pan until they are golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.

Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top, lay a couple of slices of lemon on the chicken, and top with rosemary sprigs. Put into oven to broil for about 10 minutes - 15 minutes. This is a healthy and tasty way of making chicken, with no oil at all! The citrus and rosemary chicken goes really well with a salad. Remove chicken from oven and let it sit

In a sauté pan, use olive oil to sauté the sliced onions until they start to turn color. Add mushrooms and sauté together until brown. ( I also sneaked in some white wine to brighten up the flavors a bit)

Mix baby spinach, salad greens, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, sautéed onion and mushroom into a salad bowl. Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette, and toss well.

Place the salad servings onto a plate. Next, plate the sliced strawberries around the salad.
Slice the chicken breast into strips and leave them on top of the salad. Now, how can you not love this salad?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You're right...glass bowls can be fun to show off your dishes. This is a beautiful salad!

    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Gumbo YaYa. I think your salad sounds delish. I am going to try adding grilled chicken breast to my version. Thanks for the idea!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so gorgeous! the mac grill salad is still my favorite all-time salad. ooh i miss you!

    ReplyDelete